Sunday, June 24, 2012

We The Change Foundation - Children



There is a soft spot in my heart for this next featured cause: We The Change Foundation. During my visit to Kenya in March, I was able to meet the founder and subsequently the children of the Mathare Slum Project in Nairobi.


We The Change believes that "early childhood education and care is vital to the process of a child’s brain development. This is even more so for children living in poverty." They "believe that by investing in a child’s cognitive, motor, and social-emotional development before they reach school age, they will be given a stronger chance to escape poverty and to secure a more positive future for themselves." 


I visited the 31 children that attend the Mathare Early Childhood Centre. The energy and emotions of the children were opposite of what I expected - the air was full of happiness, passion and inspiration. I couldn't understand it - I mean these children live with no running water or electricity and sewage filled pathways between their "homes". It came clear as I watched the kids and adults interact throughout the morning.... they have a community: one of which everyone cares for each other. We The Change is allowing for this community to grow and I was so glad to be a part of witnessing that.

I want to keep that community together and give just a little bit of hope to these children as well as the others that will have this opportunity thanks to We The Change. In the next 5 years, We The Change would like to infiltrate the entire country of Kenya and you can help.

All of the proceeds of the photos in this post will benefit We The Change. Click on the image and you'll get details on how to purchase. You can also donate directly here. If you choose the latter, let me know - I will e-mail you a digital desktop photo of your choice (of the photos here) as a thank you for your support.









No comments:

Post a Comment